Welcome to “Guide to Submissions” where you can learn how to submit your own book reviews and short stories. This is a collaborative website, and I’d love to read and share your book reviews and short stories.
Below are some guidelines and information for submissions.
- This is a “G” rated site. Your book review and/or short story should be appropriate for all kinds of people of any age. With this in mind: do not send anything that contains erotic material and/or racist or religion-bashing content.
- Understand that your writing could be edited for spelling, grammar and punctuation. Don’t be insulted; it happens to the best of us.
- You may review fiction and non-fiction books.
- Your short stories can be fiction or based on fact. If you mention names of real people, be sure you have permission to use them in print. To be on the safe side, you may want to ask the person(s) to sign a Letter of Consent.
- Your book review should contain the bulleted information found below. You can find this information on Amazon.com by doing a search for the book you’re reviewing.
- If at all possible, please include a link to a photo of the book cover in JPG format. If you don’t know how to do this, don’t worry about it–I can do it.
- There is no maximum word count, but don’t ramble.
- You might want to have someone read your writing to catch mistakes and give you feedback.
- My biggest pet peeve with book reviews: I hate reviews that reveal the book’s big turning points or ending. You can hint at a surprising twist. I like to be surprised when I read.
- If you want to link to your work on your website, that’s fine.
- I will reply to your email to let you know whether or not I have accepted your work for the site.
How to submit a book review or short story
You can submit your book review/short story by attaching it to an email and sending it to:
Contact [@] SusanLStewart [dot] com
If at all possible, write your review/short story in MS Word and submit it as an attachment to an email. This preserves any formatting you have done. If that isn’t possible, you can copy/paste your text into the body of an email. Be aware that you will lose all of your formatting such as bold, italic, underline, centering, etc., and I can’t add it back in.
How to submit a book review
To submit a book review, please be sure to start with the information below. Follow that information with your book review.
- Format (hardback, paperback or e-book)
- Book rating (1-5) (1 = worst books and 5 = best books you’ve read)
- Your byline including website URL if you’d like to include it
*Categories: non-fiction, murder mystery (police), cozy mystery (amateur sleuth), suspense, psychological suspense, literary fiction, romance, Regency or Victorian romance, historical fiction, Sci-Fi, dystopian, vampire, supernatural, etc.
To submit a short story
Follow the same procedure to submit a short story except leave out the bulleted items.
If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me using the Contact form in the top nav bar. I look forward to reading your work!
Susan L Stewart